With that in mind, here are some easy tips you can follow to keep burglars at bay in the winter: 1. Tennis Nike France Replace aged windows: The moisture that collects in homes during the winter causes windows to expand and swell. fjällräven kånken Mini Old windows experiencing this natural phenomenon tend to fall out of alignment, which prevents them from closing properly. Burglars notice this and will use an unsecured window as an easy point of entrance. Nike Air Max 2017 Heren groen Getting new windows or using an insulation kit should solve the problem, though.
2. Shovel your driveway and walkway: In addition to making your property safer and easier to traverse, clearing snow on your property shows potential burglars that someone is home. soldes nike 2017 Most burglars don’t want a confrontation, so your implied presence will discourage them from making an attempt to break in.
3. Marcus Mariota – Oregon Ducks Don’t leave your car unattended when you’re warming it up: Though it’s tempting to turn your car on in the morning and then go back inside until the seats are at least somewhat inhabitable, doing so gives potential burglars a ridiculously easy opportunity to hop in and drive off.
As sad as it is to say, some hand warmers and an extra sweater might be a smart investment for your home security this winter.
Every Monday we at LiveWatch will be delivering you a selection of the previous weeks most interesting and strange burglary-related events. New Balance 515 damskie Up this week: a serial restaurant burglar is arrested; a photographer uses digital technology to track down his stolen equipment, and more. Nike Air Max 2016 Dames Zwart Read on: An Australian photographer recovered $15,000 of stolen equipment by following the digital footprints he programmed his camera to leave on photos uploaded to the web. The man’s camera and lens were stolen in July 2014 by a fellow photographer. Canotte NCAA The camera was programmed to encode all photos with the name of its owner, which allowed the man to track down the thief who was posting images captured using the stolen goods. Ray Ban pas cher Colorado police Thursday returned a stolen painting to a local Rotary Club chapter that tried to auction off the piece two years ago. new balance 999 homme The butterfly painting, which was to be sold at a fundraiser hosted by the Colorado Springs Rotary Club, was stolen in August 2013 and found recently being used as street art. Nike Free 3.0 Police are still trying to identify the perpetrator. Pitt County, N.C., police Friday issued a statement offering to pardon all street sign thieves who voluntarily return their stolen signs within the coming week. Thieves stole 111 signs across the county in 2014 and police say they are on pace to meet that number in 2015. Hogan Uomo Prezzi The thefts have cost the county an estimated $15,000 so far. Nike Air Max 2016 Heren wit South New Jersey police have detained a serial burglar who has been robbing restaurants across the state’s southern counties. Geno Smith College Jerseys The man was caught on security camera in the act of committing his third burglary in a month’s time.
ASAPER notifies you and your emergency contacts when an alarm is triggered on your property, and it creates a virtual chat room where you and the people you trust can assess the situation and respond appropriately, all with the assistance of a Livewatch home security specialist. Fjallraven Kanken Classic Sound good? You can learn more about ASAPER here. Image sensors: Image sensors trigger security-related events when they are activated and capture an image of whatever sets them off. Dont’a Hightower Jersey They have all but replaced motion sensors as the standard sensor devices in a home security system. A.J. McCarron – Alabama Crimson Tide With image sensors installed, you can immediately have a picture of the scene sent to your computer or phone, allowing you to determine whether there is a threat to your property, or if the alarm was triggered accidentally.
If you have a home swimming pool and you’re expecting visitors and young children to use it this summer, you’re probably thinking about how you can keep your guests safe without imposing too many fun-dampening rules. air max pas cher With that in mind, here are some essential tips for how to make your pool a safe place:
- Keep a safety toolkit on hand: A first aid kit, a pair of scissors for cutting hair or pool covers in case of entrapment emergencies, flotation devices and a charged cellphone for calling 911 and other emergency contacts are all must-have items for owners of a residential pool. adidas outlet shop online These items also help increase safety at public pools.
- Always supervise children: Drowning is the second most common cause of injury-related death in the United States,
- Nike Air Max 2017 Dames blauw
- Be careful when swimming by drains: If possible, Maglie Cleveland Cavaliers children should be kept away from pool drains.
- Free Rn Flyknit Donna
- Fence in your pool: Barriers at least 4 feet tall should be erected around your home pool. Denard Robinson – Michigan Wolverines Also strongly consider arming gates to the pool with alarms so you know when a child might be entering the pool unsupervised.
- Train yourself in the basics of response: Taking lessons about CPR and basic lifesaving skills will go a long way in helping you make your home pool the safest place possible.
and most drownings among children ages 1-4 occur in home swimming pools. New Balance 009 hombre Flotation devices help keep your kids safe, but they’re not reliable enough for you to be able to walk away. Keep your eyes on swimming children at all times, and especially be aware when their playing and splashing gets quiet.
Make sure your drain covers are in place and intact. Nike Air Huarache Heren Swimmers with long hair should be reminded to keep their hair tied up to avoid entrapment in the drain. Phoenix Suns In the event someone becomes entrapped by a drain, turn off the pump immediately, Nike Free Run Femme and place a hand between the drain and the person’s body to break the pressure seal; do not try simply pulling them away from the drain as this will likely result in injury.
Please note that all tips mentioned here also apply to safety at public pools.
Yesterday we learned a little about the history of fire alarms. asics gel lyte 5 hombre verdes As a follow-up, here is a short guide for how to protect your home from fire:
- Keep your smoke detectors in working order: Less than 20 percent of fire-related deaths occur in buildings with smoke detectors because they are the fastest and most accurate fire detection devices.
- Air Max 90 Donna Nere
- LUNARGLIDE 8
- Maintain your heating appliances: Stoves, dryers and furnaces are common accidental fire starters. Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 Unless you’re an expert yourself, you should bring in a professional once a year to ensure your appliances are in proper working order.
- Be careful with electricity: When charging multiple computers, phones, cameras or other rechargeable devices, beware of tangle and clutter. new balance 1300 acquisto Webs of knotted cords are electrical fire hazards.
- Nike Free Rn Flyknit Dames
- Clean and organize regularly: Organizing piles of paperwork and breaking down and throwing out extra used boxes isn’t usually the most exciting item on the priority list, but large amounts of those things can serve as kindling for house fires. Nike Air Max 2017 Dames roze Filing your papers in cabinets and getting rid of your extra boxes and paper bags will make it harder for potential fires to spread throughout your home.
- Purchase fire extinguishers: In case an unfortunately timed spark happens to ignite something in your home, it’s always good to have a fire extinguisher on each floor of your home. Nike Air Max 2016 Dame It’s best to keep these devices near potential sources of fire like the aforementioned stoves, dryers and furnaces.
Make sure you have at least one smoke detector on each floor of your house and one outside the door of each bedroom.
You should test your detectors once every month and change the batteries twice a year.
Also you should minimize the number of extension cords and power strips you use to avoid overloading your outlets.
Finally, electrochemical sensors use electrodes submerged in a chemical solution to detect changes in electrical currents caused by the presence of carbon monoxide. At least one carbon monoxide detector should be placed on each floor of your home, detectors should be placed directly outside of every sleeping area. Air Max Baratas If an alarm sounds, it’s important to stay calm. Carbon monoxide detectors alert you to the presence of the poison early enough to get to safety. kobe 11 pas cher In the case of a detection, open all the windows in your home, move your entire family outside, and don’t go back inside until the alarm has stopped sounding.
While outside, check everyone present for flu-like symptoms, which are an early sign of carbon monoxide poisoning. nike internationalist donna In the event that someone feels ill, contact medical help immediately.
Carbon monoxide detectors can function as stand-alone units or as part of a full home security system. They can also be monitored via home automation systems and are a sure way to protect what’s most precious to you.
Households have had the benefit of fire detection since as early as the 1870s, when inventor William B. Asics Gel Lyte 3 Watkins’ heat-sensing alarm system made it possible to automatically send a telegraph to the fire station when the temperature in a home exceeded a specified threshold. adidas nmd uomo Later, fire detection capabilities improved with the development of commercial smoke detectors in the 1960s.
Today, smoke detectors are the fastest and most effective means of fire detection we have. air max pas cher The importance of filling ones home with smoke detectors and the importance of changing each unit’s batteries regularly are well-known, but the inner-workings of these important systems often go unexplained.
There are two main types of smoke detectors: photoelectric detectors and ionization detectors. Nike Free 2.0 For the curious, here’s a brief explanation of each:
Photoelectric detectors: The inside of a photoelectric detector contains a light source and a sensor. Adidas The light source is positioned so that it projects a beam of light that goes past the sensor without activating it. nike air max 2016 goedkoop However, if smoke enters the chamber, the light drifts so that it hits the sensor and activates the detector’s electronic alarm. new balance grigie bambino Photoelectric detectors are good at detecting things like burning fabric, which produce more smoke than flames.
Ionization Detectors: Generally more sensitive than their photoelectric counterparts, ionization detectors contain two magnets and a tiny amount of a radioactive material called americium. Canotte nba Donna The radiation from the americium, which isn’t even powerful enough to penetrate a single sheet of paper, breaks electrons off the oxygen atoms in the detector’s chamber. A.J. McCarron – Alabama Crimson Tide These electrons in conjunction with the chamber’s magnets generate a small electrical current. The splitting of an electron from its atom is called ionization, so this chamber is known as the ionization chamber. nike air max pas cher If smoke enters the chamber, the ionization process is disrupted.
The recent National Gardening Safety Day celebrated the physical benefits of gardening. From building strength to improving endurance, gardening is great for your body, but it can also be dangerous if practiced improperly. As a belated celebration of last Friday’s holiday, here are some key tips for gardening safely:
- Cover up: Before heading out to the garden, put on a long-sleeved shirt and long pants, tucked into your shoes for maximum ankle protection.
- Adidas Nmd Uomo
- Use gloves: Rubber protects you when working with chemicals and leather keeps your fingers safe from thorns, insects and hidden sharp objects when you’re trimming, digging and planting. fjällräven kånken Stora Make sure to inspect your gloves for rips and holes before using them.
- Keep your tools well-maintained: Make sure handle grips still fit your hands well and aren’t becoming slippery. Nick Marshall Jerseys When sharpening tools, act with caution and precision—it’s not a race.
- Nike Air Huarache Dames
- Use proper gardening techniques: A good rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t place prolonged strain on one part of your body. A.J. McCarron College Jerseys Do stretching exercises or switch activities to avoid stress injuries. Nike KD Trey 5 III When using hand tools, make sure your wrist is straight at all times. Air Max 2017 Goedkoop When digging, use a shovel instead of just your hands to avoid being cut by buried objects or bitten by critters.
- Take breaks: Gardening is strenuous and it’s easy to suffer back, shoulder and arm injuries.
Always wear closed- toed shoes—and preferably wear footwear with steel toe coverings—to avoid serious toe damage. New Balance 247 mujer Apply sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 15 to any remaining exposed skin. You’ll be out there for a while, so you don’t want to get sunburnt or bitten all over by insects.
Also be absolutely sure to clean your tools regularly for optimal performance and to avoid attracting bacteria.
U.S. Nike Kyrie Irving fire departments respond to more than 47,000 electrical fire-related incidents each year. In some ways it’s not surprising. Hogan Outlet Sito Ufficiale With the increasing number of electrically-charged appliances and gadgets entering American homes, it’s no wonder more fires are occurring do to circuit overloads and the tangling of laptop and phone chargers with broken wires. With these hazards in mind, here are five tips for how to avoid starting an electrical fire in your home:
- Keep wires well-maintained: Avoid extensive wire tangling. Fjallraven Kanken 20L When plugging an additional charger into a power strip or outlet, take care to place the cord carefully so it doesn’t become knotted with already present cords. Clayton Kershaw Jersey Also regularly inspect electrical cords and wiring for damage, especially around connection areas. Replace or repair wires when loose connections are located.
- Only strategically use extension cords: If you need to use an extension cord, make sure you don’t run it under a door or carpet; someone could accidently damage the wiring with their feet or the door and cause sparks or even a fire. Goedkoop Air Max Nike If you find yourself regularly using extension cords, strongly consider having an electrician install additional outlets.
- Don’t overload outlets: Only one high-wattage appliance should be plugged into an outlet at a time. If you notice an outlet getting warm or lights in a room starting to flicker, examine the distribution of appliances across outlets and adjust their locations accordingly. nike air max dame Call an expert immediately if problems persist.
- Trust your circuit breaker: If your circuit breaker trips immediately after being reset, you likely have a serious electrical problem on your hands. Continuing to reset a circuit breaker increases the chances you’ll start a fire, so shut off power and investigate or call an expert if you find your box not staying set.
- Know the danger of electrical fires: In the event that an electrical fire does break out, do not use water to fight it.
- Air Huarache Donna Rosso
- ADIDAS PURE BOOST
Water conducts electricity, which will make the situation worse.
If you feel confident the fire is containable and you have a chemical fire extinguisher, you can put it out yourself before calling the fire department.