Home Forums Tech Tips Ademco 20

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ChosunOne 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

CapnCrunch
    Participant

Hello. My current alarm provider has gone out of business and I have the Ademco Vista 20. I use the cellular connection to contact the monitoring service. The issue is that I have no programming experience and the closest alarm company is an hour away. I am willing to reset to default and program but am wondering how challenging it is? Would I need equipment? I would then reprogram to use another monitoring service as well. Thanks for any guidance you may offer in advance!

ChosunOne
    Participant

DO NOT RESET TO DEFAULT!! It is totally unnecessary and would entail re-constructing how your panel was programmed before you defaulted it. THAT would entail a lot of tracing hardware and probably some guessing. It’s actually easier to program a new panel and system from scratch, than it is to re-program a defaulted system, because with a new system that you install, you know what’s in it and how it ties together. Back-engineering it _after_ installation is an order of magnitude harder.
    You only need to change a few entries to change your monitoring service, and it’s not difficult; but you need to know exactly what equipment you’re working with, and have the right Installation manual(s) for it.
    Do you have a Vista-20, a Vista-20SE, or a Vista-20P? The programming is a little different for each. Look at the big square microchip in the center of the control panel mother board and see if it has a label, something similar to WA20P-5.2. That will tell us the model and revision of the board, which will tell us what kind of communicators it will support. Also look at the silk screen print at the top of the panel mother board, and the diagram on the inside of the panel cabinet door.
    What is the model nomenclature, make and model, of your “cellular” communicator?
    Do you have a 6139 or 6160 Alpha (Alphanumeric) Keypad with a 2-line display? For example, displays “ZONE 3 FAULT FRONT DOOR”, instead of just “Zone 3″. You may not need it, but it’s good to know if your keypad(s) is/are Alpha or just 6150 or 6128 etc. Search eBay for pics of Honeywell 6139, 6160, 6150, 6128, to compare your keypad(s) to the pictures.
    Your keypad is your programming interface and what you’re working with can make a difference.
    Having said all that: I’ve been mostly retired for about 8 years now, only service a dozen or so personal customers, and I’m not up to speed on all the latest monitoring options. This forum has become kind of a ghost town. I’m one of the few experienced techs who still check in here now and then.
    You’ll have better luck with your question about finding a new monitoring service and programming for it, if you re-post your question on this other forum:

http://www.shieldlab.com/forum/index.php/board,5.0.html

Be sure you give the right model number for your panel, for the cellular communicator if you can find it, and for your keypad(s). It speeds the process along.
    And WHATEVER you do, DON’T DEFAULT THE PANEL!!! ]’0′[

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.