Home Forums General Technical Questions DSC Neo Restricting User

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ChosunOne 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

trevcda
    Participant

Have a DSC Power Series Neo 64 zone panel. Would like to set up some user codes so that they can only ARM the system and not DISARM the system. Anybody have some ideas on how to do this?

ChosunOne
    Participant

It’s been awhile since I worked with DSC panels and I’m not up to speed on their Neo. DSC tends to change their panel programming format every time they come out with a new panel, so my experience with earlier panels doesn’t do you any good.
    Unfortunately, this forum has become a ghost town–I’m one of the few Pro Techs who still check in here from time to time, but I’m a lot more familiar with other brands.
    You’ll have better luck posting your question answered at this other forum in the link below–lots of DSC Techs there regularly.

http://www.shieldlab.com/forum/index.php/board,3.0.html

trevcda
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. And the heads up. It’s funny that this was one of the first forums to come up in a search. DSC tech support said it couldn’t be done, but I’ve seen the impossible done, in the hands of someone who really knows a system. Let me ask you another question; have you seen this feature in many other panels, current or discontinued?

ChosunOne
    Participant

I retired a few years ago, and I’ve only kept more-or-less current on the Ademco panels for my personal customers that I still take care of. So I don’t remember off the top of my head whether GE (formerly ITI) or Napco have that feature, but Honeywell/Ademco has had it in their Vista series for over 20 years. It strikes m e as odd that DSC wouldn’t have included it in their panels–it has obviously been a feature that enough customers want, given that Honeywell has kept it.
    In the Honeywell Vista-20P, “Authority Level 1″ for a User Code means that that User can only arm, not disarm. Even more useful for most homeowners is Authority Level 2 (aka “babysitter or cleaner code”), which allows that user to disarm ONLY if that code was used to arm. If the system is armed with another code, or with the Quick-Arming feature, or with a key fob, then the Auth. Level 2 code can’t disarm it.
    This lets the owner arm with the (for example) cleaner code so that the cleaner can enter while s/he’s away, on an ad hoc basis, and disarm when leaving.

IIRC, some of the earlier Vista panels had a provision to let the Master Code holder set a “service code” for which s/he could set a specific number of times it could be used before it expired and had to be reset by the owner. They don’t seem to have kept that feature.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.